Live Edge Wood Care & Maintenance
rooks Custom's live edge wood countertops, table tops, and furniture are made from hand-selected wood slabs. The live edge inventory is curated by Richard Brooks and is chosen for the wood's size, unique grain, and figure patterns. The wood is then kiln-dried to remove any excess moisture to prevent any future cracking or warping and is machined to its true dimension on a CNC machine.
To serve as a fully-functional countertop or furniture surface the tops are sealed, cracks are filled with resin, and are topped with our signature tough-as-nails Marine Finish.
There may be some seasonal movement and acclimation of the wood; this is normal and should not affect the structural integrity of the top.
• Our live edge wood products are sealed with our permanent Marine Finish; no recoating is necessary.
• Live edge requires very little maintenance to remain water and stain proof.
• To keep you live edge looking fresh, a bottle of Weiman's Furniture Cream (an all-natural product) is supplied to you upon delivery. (Note: this product contains Walnut and Almond oils.)
• Apply Weiman's once a week for the first four weeks, and once a month thereafter. This polishing not only restores the luster of the top, but will help to protect it from any nicks or dings in the wood.
• To polish your wood top, apply a modest amount of the Weiman's Furniture Cream nad buff the excess with a clean and dry cloth.
• Lemon Pledge is a suitable substitute for Weiman's Furniture Cream.
• Polishing can also minimize and seal minor scratches.
• The finish is not suitable for direct food prep, we recommend using separate cutting boards for any cutting or chopping.
• Be aware that some residual moisture within the wood may be released during the first heating season, or Winter. This may result in some shrinking around the areas with resin.
• All wood tops, including live edge, respond to temperature and humidity and will change shape with the seasons. Slight misalignments of boards and cracks may appear seasonally - this is normal.
• You live edge top will arrive with a very perfect and slightly glossy finish. The sheen is intended to dull down with use. The top will develop a patina and 'pattern of use'; this creates the personality of your countertop and is to be enjoyed as a unique finish.
• The finish on your top may have a whitish haze when seen in reflected light. This is caused by the hand rubbed application done by our craftsmen.
• A certain amount of checking (small cracking at the end grain) is normal for solid-wood countertops. This will not affect the structural integrity of your top.
• If you have an undermount sink, we suggest that you apply Linseed Oil or Tung Oil to the wood rim seasonally to prevent water from entering under dings or cuts that may have occurred.
WARRANTY FOR LIVE EDGE FURNITURE AND COUNTERTOPS
• All live edge wood products have a Limited Lifetime Warranty.
• Brooks Custom will repair or replace, at their options, any product determined to be faulty due to manufacturing defects.
• Products not installed by Brooks Custom must be returned to the Brooks Custom showroom.
• Incidental work or adjacent materials are not included in warranty coverage. This is standard in most of the home improvement industry.
• All shipped live edge products must be removed from their crates within 30 days or delivery. Any claims for shipping damage must be made within that time.
• Sales are final on all finished products that are left in our showroom after 90 days.
Please feel free to contact or call us for technical or service advice before tackling significant problems with your countertop.
If you need to report a problem or need service advice, please follow this procedure to help us understand the nature of your problem.
• Please provide photos to illustrate the nature and size of your problem.
• First, place a quarter next to each problem area as a scale reference.
• Next, take a wide-angle photo that shows the entire countertop.
• Then, take a close-up photo photo of each problem area (showing the quarter in each close-up).
• Email photos to firstname.lastname@example.org.After the photos are received our Service Department will reply with resolution options.